Saturday 30 July 2011

Beautiful people.

Now I bet you have met a few special people working in KFC or even McD’s before haven’t you? Those are the ‘special people’ who can follow orders and control their emotions. Most of the others, who can’t seem to overcome that, are left rejected. As adults, they can’t be depending on their parents forever. Thus, Joy Workshop was found. This workshop welcomes the left behind-ers and takes them in, providing them special care and simple jobs to earn themselves a living.

 

For my last holidays, I went in as a volunteer. A teacher at first, but a friend in the end. Wasn’t too used to them calling me “teacher” because most of them are older than me.  Most of them are between the age of 18-50. The girl in orange and shades above her head, Priya, is majoring in psychologist and doing her intern there. When I came in, it was already her last week.

They really give you this warm ambiance the min you step in. Greeting you with smiles and some even will come hugging you. At first I wasn't quite use to handling them. Not knowing what to do when Amin started to scream or throw stuffs, or when Mei Lin started to talk to me in her own language.
I panicked when Chee Siong started to pee in his pants and was wondering how in the world am I gonna clean him up? O.O he's a grown man for God's sake. But here's the special part about them... the other 'special students' will sound the one who does something wrong and help each other clean up.
Then there's also Alvin who talks NON-STOP like seriously... and claims he is an American citizen. Sometimes he pees and claims that he came his period. Or even tell me he's actually a girl but his parents mistook him for a boy. T.T
Oh and Maria is a real chit-chatter too. Everyday she will have a new complain and get's cranky when you don't give her enough attention.

At the end of day one, Priya gave my few tips on how to handle each of them. There's only one main teacher there, aunty Rosalyn, and then there's Priya and me. Priya was going off in 4 days and I will be taking over her. 2 teachers and 20 disabled students. Now imagine if I didn't turn up to help. =(

Anyways, I shall introduce a few of them to you.

 This is Chen Lian, 24 yrs old, and me. From day 1, we had a bond. =)

 and this is Christopher. 22 yrs of age and he is my favourite!
Why, you ask?
because he beams whenever I call his name.


 Priya, playing cards with them.

 This is Dennis. 23. Hardest to handle but still adorable.
He uses that red cover to whack other people's head and make them wail and scream and the whole place will be like =.=

 and here we have Vincent. 20. One of my favorite too.
He told me he dreams of becoming a pastor someday and we can talk just about anything! 



 She was camera shy at first.

 Look at their happy faces. =)



 This is them having lunch, one random day, an uncle of mine bought them all KFC for lunch. =)


 And this was my last day.


Volunteered about a month there and I will be going again during my hols. I feel honoured to be called their "jie-jie"/ "teacher" although I think I am almost the youngest. XD

Give them your care, and in return, they'll give you their heart. 
They are special in so many ways, only one can tell when you work or stay with them.
If ever you have nothing to do for you holidays, please do drop by or come as a volunteer,
it'll make them feel so content and I promise you, they will make you feel special too. =)

here's their website.
http://joyworkshopmelaka.com/
till then, Afiq, this post is for you. =)

0 comments:

Post a Comment